Itzhak Perlman. The Golden Violin. 2 CD Set (2012)
The world's biggest Judaica store
Home to thousands of fantastic Judaica products!
Satisfaction guaranteed – or your money back!
From Israel with Love!
Winner of over 15 Grammy Awards and with worldwide album sales over 1 million, Israel's Itzhak Perlman is one of the most popular and recognizable names in classical music.
This superb collection will give you a sense of why the world is in love with Itzhak Perlman! The first CD is titled "The Romantic Violin" and contains works mostly by classical composers from the romantic and modern periods, including Brahms, Mendelssohn, and Tchaikovsky. The second CD is titled "Jazz, Ragtime, and Folk" and lets you experience the true range of this incomparable performer and artist.
CD 1: The Romantic Violin
1. Massenet - Meditation
2. Rachmaninov - Vocalise
3. Dvorak - Romantic Piece
4. Gluck - Melodie (arr. Kriesler)
5. Tchaikovsky - Violin Concerto - Canzonetta (Andante)
6. Bruch - Scottish Fantasy - Adagio cantabile
7. Franck - Violin Sonata - Allegro ben moderato
8. Mendelssohn - Sweet Remembrance (Songs without words, arr. Heifetz)
9. Tchaikovsky - Andante cantabile
10. Saint-Saens - Violin Concerto no.3 - Andantino quasi allegreto
11. Wieniawski - Violin Concerto no.1 - Preghiera Lareghetto
12. Dvorak - Slavonic Dance no.2 (arr. Kriesler)
13. Brahms - Hungarian Dance no.1 (arr. Joachim)
14. Saraste - Playera
15. Mendelssohn - Violin Concerto - Andante
16. Kriesler - Schon Rosmarin
CD 2: Jazz, Ragtime, and Folk
1. Joplin - The Ragtime Dance (arr. Perlman)
2. Gershwin - It Ain't Necessarily So (arr. Heifetz)
3. Grainger - Molly on the Shore (arr. Kriesler)
4. Previn - The Five of Us
5. Foster - The Old Folks at Home (arr. Heifetz)
6. Joplin - The Entertainer
7. Sinding - Suite in A Minor: Presto
8. Albeniz - Seville (arr. Heifetz)
9. Halffter - Danza De La Gitana (arr. Heifetz)
10. Previn - Night Thoughts
11-13. Gershwin - 3 Preludes (arr. Heifetz)
14. Previn - Who Reads Reviews
15. Joplin - Pine Apple Rag
16. Joplin - Solace (A Mexican Serenade)
17. Previn - A Chocolate Apricot
18. Traditional - Deep River (arr. Heifetz)
19. Traditional - Londonderry Air (arr. Heifetz)
Itzhak Perlman is accepted and celebrated by many as one of the greatest classical violinists of the twentieth century. Overcoming polio and its crippling effects, Perlman was a distinguished musician in his native Israel prior to entering his teens. He travels around the world performing and teaming with other great musicians and he has brought a new style, individuality and technical ability to classical music and the violin.
Itzhak Perlman was born in Israel in 1945 and moved to the USA in 1958, where he trained at the Juilliard School in New York. His success in winning the prestigious Leventritt Competition in 1964 launched his international career through which he has become known as one of the world's leading musicians.
Itzhak Perlman has appeared with every major orchestra and in recitals and festivals throughout the world. In November 1987 he joined the Israel Philharmonic for history-making concerts in Warsaw and Budapest, representing the first performances by this orchestra and soloist in Eastern block countries. He again made history as he joined the Israel Philharmonic for its first visit to the Soviet Union in April 1990 with concerts in Moscow and Leningrad. In recent years Perlman has continued to perform with leading orchestras in addition to touring major cities throughout the world with his accompanists Bruno Canino and Samuel Sanders. In 1996 Perlman's engagements included concerto and recital appearances throughout Europe, Asia and North America, including appearances with many of the world's foremost orchestras and composers.